Saturday, March 12, 2011

Seated in the Pit for the Blessing

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in him. [Psalm 40:1-3]

Have you ever been in a situation or in a literal location that you were sick of being in, never wanted to go to, and really didn't get why God had not yet answered your prayers to deliver you the heck out, and on your way? Well, I have and can surely relate!!!

Two years ago, I was "stuck" in a real-life location (not just a situation) that I was so "OVER" and beyond ready to leave. I had prayed to God to deliver me and provide the opportunity for my departure, but the months had gone on and I had found myself getting to the point of "enough is enough"...still in that place. A few month prior, I was actually spiritually able to realize why my "being stuck" in that location may have been necessary and most beneficial for other events that took place while I was "there". I had even thought to myself, "Teri, enjoy the journey and learn during this time that you are 'stuck' as a hostage in this geographic jail cell". But it was one day in October of 2009 that I heard a word that finally made my continued misery of still being "there", seem worth the wait.

That October morning, I was awakened at 5:48 a.m. by an unexpected phone ring. Even though the call had not been for me and was not a life threatening emergency, it had really awoken me and kept me from drifting peacefully back to sleep. Realizing that it was close to 6 a.m., I had decided to catch a Christian program and had hoped to view the following one at 6:30 a.m. It was the message at the end of the second program that did something for my soul.

In the program, the evangelist talked about a time when she and her family were getting ready to depart from a hotel in Hawaii, after being there for a conference. Initially, her intentions were to pack up their belongings and to check out of the hotel. However, at the last moment, she got a sudden craving for macadamia nut waffles and informed the children that they would eat in the hotel restaurant before departing. At the restaurant, a gentleman rudely cut in front of her family in the line as they waited to be seated by the hostess. Being somewhat perturbed, she decided to refrain from showing her feelings and remained quiet. As the hostess prepared to seat the gentleman, she asked him where he would like to sit and he directed her to seat him outdoors. Outdoors???...This was exactly where the evangelist had her mind set on enjoying her breakfast, as well. When the hostess looked to her, inquired about her seating choice, and she requested the outdoors, the evangelist was disappointingly told that the outdoor seating was booked. Quite disturbed and a bit upset inside (especially since she felt that the gentleman who had cut them and had taken her choice spot), she still managed to keep her "Christ-like Cool" and her mouth shut. The hostess led her and her family to the most remote area of the entire restaurant. She sat down and decided to let her children go and get their food while she kept watch over the table. She describe how unhappy she felt about her seating and even how closely her table was placed next to the other dining table beside her.

As she waited on her children, all of a sudden, the lady sitting at the table (so very close to hers) mentions to her that God had instructed her to give the evangelist something. The stranger then proceeded to give her a beautiful ring made of diamonds and emeralds. She was astounded and grateful.

On her flight home, she gazed at her ring and then realized that if she had not been in the right place at the right time, she would not be admiring such a beautiful ring. She thought about her initial experience at the restaurant and how she had chosen to "keep her cool". She also thought of how she would not have been near the lady that had blessed her with the gift if she had in fact enjoyed breakfast outdoors.
From hearing her experience that morning, I realized that sometimes we just may find ourselves in a location or in a predicament in life that we are not pleased to be in and are so ready to escape; just as the evangelist found herself in furthest, back corner of the restaurant, with no hopes of enjoying the Hawaiian views of palm trees, blue waters, and stately mountains. But it maybe in that place, that seems so unattractive, miserable, & undesirable to us, and totally NOT our "cup of tea", that God has predestined as our "HOOK UP" location for a great blessing...one that sparkles, like that emerald!And, don't forget Joseph's story... The most ultimate account of being "seated in the pit for the blessing"!  Recall his experience (Genesis 37, 39-41) when his brothers' jealousy tossed him in the well, thus leading him to become a slave and then a prisoner in jail??? Well, it was in "that place", in that jailin that undesirable place, where he was able to make the divine "hook up" connections, that eventually led to his deliverance and his blessing as one in charge in the Pharaoh's empire.

So, going forward, beware of too much complaining about your current location or predicament that you are in at this time.  Yeah, I know that you are weary, and empathize about how you just cannot take being in the position that you are in anymore.  But...Wait on the Lord, He will deliver you...and who knows, your pit may have been the seat for your blessing all along!


"I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me.  I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God. ...Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters." [Psalm 69:2,3, & 14]

"I sought the Lord, and he heard me; and he delivered me from all my troubles." [Psalm 34:4]

 Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary." [Isaiah 40:31]


Mad Luv~Teri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this message encouraging, empowering, or enlightening to you? Do you have prayer needs that you'd like us at Women of the Battlefield Ministries to lift up in prayer for you? Please leave your comments.