Friday, April 1, 2011

Let Go of Your Bitterness: The Pains of Divorce

Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, quarreling, and slander be put away from you, along with all hatred. [Ephesians 4:13]


Although separation and divorce is not our God's hope nor intentions for the marriages that we have been joined together in, because we continue to live in "this world" and have not completely rid ourselves of all its desires and characteristics, unfortunately it is a reality for some of us in this 21st century.


And since separation from our spouses was not His original plan,  these separations and divorces are often accompanied by feelings of deep hurt, wounded spirits, and extreme anger, bitterness, and resentment, which work to haunt the hearts of those involved and permeates through their relationships with their children, their child's relationship with the other spouse, and any other future relationships they may encounter; because these negative and soul-eatings issues have not fully been dealt with and put to rest & peace within their hearts.


Below I would like to share a special prayer for those who continue to struggle with bitterness, resentment and hurt from a marital separation or divorce.  If you are so blessed to continue to be bound to your spouse in marriage, please don't pass this by...be loving enough to pray this for a friend or share it with someone you know who is suffering from this type of situation.


Prayer:  Letting Go of Bitterness 
(By Germaine Copeland, Prayers that Avail Much)


Father, life seems so unjust, so unfair.  The pain of rejection is almost more than I can bear.  My past relationships have ended in strife, anger, rejection, and separation.


Lord, help me to let go of all bitterness and indignation and wrath (passion, rage, bad temper) and resentment (anger, animosity).


You are the One Who binds up and heals the broken-hearted.  I receive emotional healing by faith, and I thank You for giving me the grace to stand firm until the process is complete.


Thank You for wise counselors.  I acknowledge the Holy Spirit as my wonderful Counselor.  Thank you for helping me work out my salvation with fear and trembling, for it is You, Father, Who works in me to will and to act according to Your good purpose.


In the name of Jesus, I choose to forgive those who have wronged me.  I purpose to live a life of forgiveness because You have forgiven me.  With the help of the Holy Spirit, I get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, and slander, along with every form of malice.  I desire to be kind and compassionate to others forgiving them, just as in Christ You forgave me.


With the help of the Holy Spirit, I make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy, for I know that without holiness no one will see you, Lord.  I purpose to see to it that I do not miss Your grace and that no bitter root grows up within me to cause trouble.


I will watch and pray that I enter not into temptation or cause others to stumble.


Thank You, Father, that You watch over  Your Word to perform it and whom the Son has set free is free indeed.  I declare that I have overcome resentment and bitterness by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony.


In Jesus' name, amen.




Without judgment, if you can avoid marital separation and divorce, please do so by all means; for it is pleasing to God, it is ultimately His will, and it will further protect you from the pains and years of the negative domino effects that divorce can bring (some that you cannot even fathom now, but may even surface as you grow older and are becoming a grandparent).  


However, if you have found yourself in such a position, DO NOT FRET...if you are willing to give God all of your issues and pains, He has healing for your soul and He will surely do it.  Seek that peace and pursue it!  God can make all things work together for good in your life.  You've just got to LET IT GO and turn it ALL over to Him! 

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. 
[2 Thessalonians 3:16]




Mad Luv~ Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this message encouraging, empowering, or enlightening to you? Do you have prayer needs that you'd like us at Women of the Battlefield Ministries to lift up in prayer for you? Please leave your comments.