Wednesday, April 6, 2011

...Just the Way You Made Me!

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...~Psalm 139:14

About a year and a half ago, I found the need to use scriptures from the Bible to write a special prayer for my daughter who was struggling with her self-esteem. A great deal of her esteem issues were related to her negative feelings about her body size and shape. She was spending many of her days in a depressed state, and although she longed to be smaller in size, the depression was causing her to eat even more (and then feel even worse). I was deeply concerned about the continuing, future affects of such thought patterns on her health and her overall mental well-being and stability. What also bothered me so was the fact that she was so young to carry such a burden.

Not until about two months ago this year did I truly realize how seriously my daughter's negative body image was impacting her. I wasn't aware of its magnitude at that time, but she actually hated the person she was, and had often contemplated starving herself and even vomiting the food she ate, in her efforts to mold that "perfect" body image. 


It hurts my heart today as I reflect on that time and how she was feeling; and am more than grateful to God that through time, prayer (for herself and from others), and support my sweet child was able to come from under and embrace the person God had created, just as she was.


As I am writing this now, I realize that even as a grown woman, with some years of maturity in the Word of God and my relationship with Him, I still have not personally and completely accepted and grasped the person God formed, when He formed "Teri".  I still have the need to be "transformed by the renewing of my mind" so that my thoughts and image of myself will be in line with my Creator's view of me...the precious works of His hand.  


At least now, I fortunately realize that until I transform my ways of thinking and get to the root of my self-sabotaging beliefs (that are truly the most prominent reason and cause of my continued struggle with my weight and negative body image), I will continue to struggle and will never truly gain the victory I desire, and the attainment of viewing myself just the way my Abba Father in Heaven does.  


It is in our own minds that our success or failure with our weight and body image ultimately lies.

You and I must get a hold of and MEDITATE on the Word of God, couple it with prayer & faith, and observe how will can BE TRANSFORMED!!!



In wrapping things up, I would like to share the prayer that I wrote for my daughter when she was struggling with who she was and how she looked.  At the time, the only thing I knew to do for her was to design this prayer for her to pray; to encourage her, to heal her, and transform her. 


Perhaps like my daughter did (and as I currently am), you are experiencing some of the same struggles about your weight and/or body image.  Or perhaps, you may be close to someone else that is. What ever the case, I pray that you will be blessed by this prayer; that you will read it aloud as your prayer to God and meditate on the scriptures within.  Let His Word and His love transform you, as I plan to as well!



With much love and affections,
~Teri



Dear Father,

I’d like to thank you, in the name of Jesus, for caring for me and harkening your ear to my prayer.

Lord, thank you for creating my inmost being, knitting me together in my mother’s womb. I thank you that when I get down on myself, am sad, and am unpleased about my body, in anyway, I can praise you instead as I remember that I am fearfully and wonderfully made by you. And, Lord all of your works are wonderful (that includes me). I know that fully well! My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.

I will no longer allow my soul to be downcast over my body shape or size because I know that I am indeed your precious work of art. You are the Potter and I am your clay.

Father, I thank you that you will fulfill your purpose for me, your love, O Lord endures forever-do not abandon me, the works of your hands.

Lord, since I know that apart from you I can do nothing, please help me to be good to my body each day. Let wisdom enter my heart, and let the knowledge be pleasant to my soul. Allow me to be a prudent young lady that gives thought to her actions and steps, especially where my body and health is concerned. Remind me daily that although, everything is permissible for me, not everything is beneficial is for my good health.

I want to love and respect my body because I know that my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. I will honor you with my body and offer my body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to you-this is my spiritual act of worship.

Praise be to God who gives me victory through Jesus Christ! 




Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this message encouraging, empowering, or enlightening to you? Do you have prayer needs that you'd like us at Women of the Battlefield Ministries to lift up in prayer for you? Please leave your comments.