Sunday, May 8, 2011

Reflection on Mother's Day


"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it."
[Proverbs 22:6]


In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to give all of the mothers out there something to reflect on. As a mother, I understand how challenging the task of motherhood can be. No matter how difficult things get, we must always remember to seek God in prayer for our children, as God is a God of generations. As my pastor said this morning in his sermon "the most important thing that we can teach our children is how to lift their voices in prayer to God." We are mere stewards of our children and they belong to God, let us work through our Sovereign God for guidance.




Enjoy these poems in reflection of motherhood...


A Mother's Love


by Helen Steiner Rice



A Mother's love is something that no one can explain,


It is made of deep devotion and of sacrifice and pain,


It is endless and unselfish and enduring come what may


For nothing can destroy it or take that love away . . .


It is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,


And it never fails or falters even though the heart is breaking . . .


It believes beyond believing when the world around condemns,


And it glows with all the beauty of the rarest, brightest gems . . .


It is far beyond defining,it defies all explanation,


And it still remains a secret like the mysteries of creation . . .


A many splendored miracle man cannot understand


And another wondrous evidence of God's tender guiding hand.





A Mother's Prayer


by Mary A. Loberg



Help me dear Lord, as a mother, I pray


And bless these hands folded in prayer today;


May they be ever strong as they guide, as they teach,


Beings never too far for a child to reach.


May they never, with selfishness, try to dissuade,


Nor too quickly punish, nor too slowly aid.


May they point out the pleasures in laughter and song,


And may they show, wisely, the right from the wrong,


So that one day I'll know that I've helped all I can


To make her a woman, to make him a man.





A Mother's Kiss


by Frances E. W. Harper




My mother's kiss, my mother's kiss,I feel its impress now;


As in the bright and happy days She pressed it on my brow.


You say it is a fancied thing Within my memory fraught;


To me it has a sacred place--The treasure house of thought.


Again, I feel her fingers glide Amid my clustering hair;


I see the love-light in her eyes, When all my life was fair.


Again, I hear her gentle voice In warning or in love.


How precious was the faith that taught My soul of things above.


The music of her voice is stilled, Her lips are paled in death.


As precious pearls I'll clasp her words Until my latest breath.


The world has scattered round my path Honor and wealth and fame;


But naught so precious as the thoughts That gather round her name.


And friends have placed upon my brow The laurels of renown;


But she first taught me how to wear My manhood as a crown.


My hair is silvered o'er with age, I'm longing to depart;


To clasp again my mother's hand, And be a child at heart.


To roam with her the glory-land Where saints and angels greet;


To cast our crowns with songs of love At our Redeemer's feet.


For those of you out there who have lost your mothers, use this day to reflect on what your mother meant to you. For those who never had the relationship with your mother that you may have wanted, we should thank God for the women he placed in our lives to teach us, guide us, and to demonstrate what a nurturing love is.




God is love, and He is the father (and mother) of all:


The lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children-


[Psalm 103:8, 10-14; 17]


Happy Mother's Day!!


Love...laugh...live...life is short~Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this message encouraging, empowering, or enlightening to you? Do you have prayer needs that you'd like us at Women of the Battlefield Ministries to lift up in prayer for you? Please leave your comments.